Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Conceptual Design

I sometimes like to refer to myself as a conceptual designer. The trouble with this term is that there are too many definitions out there, everyone and anyone understands it and uses it differently.


To me conceptual design has to do with the creation of concepts and ideas- often channelled through characters- that can potentially become functional in our everyday experience. But even function is a relative term. If  a design seeks to offer Inspiration and express Beauty, that in itself is a function. It doesn't always have to translate into a technological feat or tangible object.  

So that kind of describes part of what I do. I am not the person who draws my designs, I am the one who thinks them up, sees them & their back story in my mind's eye, imbues them with meaning and my collaborators put them on paper. 

OK, OK, occasionally I do a few rough sketches. ^^^